We already now know that there are in all 12 unique notes as per the music wheel. That is to say,
- The 7 white keys – C, D, E, F, G, A, B
- The 5 black keys – C#(Db), D#(Eb), F#(Gb), G#(Ab), A#(Bb)
The 12 unique notes of music
What is a scale?:
A scale is a group of musical notes chosen from the 12 unique notes, arranged in a sequential manner.
A scale is used in composing melodies. Similarly, Raagas are used in Indian Classical music.
Types of Scales:
There are many types of scales which are used in different genres of music like western, jazz, blues, rock, etc.
However, the most common types of scales are –
- Major Scales
- Minor Scales
Most importantly, they are widely used in Bollywood music.
What is the difference between a major scale and a minor scale?
- A major scale has a happy tone. So, a song composed in a major scale generally sounds happy. For example,
- Pehla Nasha (F major scale)
- Raabta (C major scale)
- A minor scale has a sad tone. So, a song composed in a major scale generally sounds sad. For example,
- Tum Hi Ho (E minor scale)
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (D minor scale)
Scales are the primary element in music theory. Moreover, any song is built on the foundation of a scale.